Ireland’s Coveney: No appetitte across EU to reopen Brexit withdrawal agreement
Irish foreign minister Simon Coveney was out on the wires recently, reiterating that the EU is unwilling to reopen the Brexit withdrawal agreement.
Key quotes (via Reuters)
- No-deal Brexit would be “crazy” outcome of three years of Brexit negotiations.
- UK parliament’s asks must be reasonable.
- EU cannot remove backstop insurance and replace it with ‘wishful thinking’.
- Time-limit to backstop would kick issue down in time, cannot be accepted.
- Ireland spending hundreds of millions of euros preparing for no-deal Brexit.
- Declaration on future ties is the area for manoeuvre on backstop assurances.
- ‘We want to find ways’ to help pm may ratify Brexit deal in parliament.